04 December 2009

04 December 2009 – Friday

Today was quite interesting starting with the weather that went from hot and very humid in the morning to rain and a nice cool breeze in the afternoon and evening. We got quite a bit accomplished but there was also times when we just filled in. By the end of the day we were tired but not sleepy.

The morning got scrambled a little when President Vezi called and said he could not be at the B’s to move the large items at the time we had planned so we switched a couple of things around and went shopping for everything we need for lunch on Saturday for the leaders to dinner on Sunday with the elders. I also found time to pay the Telkom bill so we can have internet for another month.

After hurrying home to unload and put away the groceries we turned right around and made it to the B’s boarding right on time. In less then 30 minutes we had the last load in the car and the big items in the truck and were on back to our boarding. It did not take long to unload but it did take time to put things away – we needed to get the house ready for visits by the Manns and perhaps the Koellikers.

After lunch we went to Enseleni and taught English to one sister. President Vilane could not be there because he was at the hospital trying to get his inflamed tooth taken care of. Of course they could not do it right away so he will have to go back on Monday. However he was at home so while Mary taught English I went over for a quick visit to make sure everything was on line for getting people to District Conference on Saturday and Sunday and to see if he needed any help.

From Enseleni we drove to Esikhawini. We went over to President Machaka’s shop to tell him that we were going to ask Sandile Chirwa to serve a 10 day mission and be a companion to elder Maremela so elder Wengert could be elder Reeder’s companion so elder Weaver could go to Durban to rest his back for 10 days. I also checked to make sure things were arranged for the conference.

We got there early so we stopped by the chapel where elders Vinson and Dishon were teaching the youth – unfortunately there were only two YM there but they decided they would hold the class. As we were leaving a young man came up to the car. I thought it was Solo Mthalane but it was just someone who was passing by and felt that they needed to go to a church to pray. We directed him into the chapel to talk to the missionaries and drove off.

Since I am writing this on the following Monday I can tell more of the story. The man went in and joined the class where the missionaries were teaching about – that is right – prayer. When the class was over the man said I am now a member of this church. The elders told him that there was more that he needed to learn before he could actually become a member and invited him to the Sunday meeting of District Conference. On Sunday he showed up at the chapel in time to get on the taxi and so he spent the next 5 hours in the company of the saints. Hopefully he will continue to come and to learn so he can be baptized.

Next I stopped and interviewed brother Wenzie Thusi to be the first counselor to President Nyawo. He did not know that President Malinga was going to be released but agreed to serve. From there we drove out to Port Durnford so I could invite brother Chirwa to serve his 10 day mission. He was baptized only about three months ago but has already said he wants to serve a full time mission.

One problem I ran into was that he had a job for the day and so we had to wait until he got home. The next problem was that because of the rain that had fallen over the last week, I was not willing to drive all the way out to their homestead so we asked him to meet us where the ‘road’ – actually two tracks through a field – got bad.

Of course while we were waiting it started to rain and so he had to walk to our car in a pouring rain and was soaking wet by the time he got there. I got out and motioned him into the car. I did not care if the seat and floor got wet. I then told him about what we would like him to do and he was thrilled to do it. I then got out our extra umbrella and gave it to him so he would not get too much wetter as he walked back.

I still had one more call to make and that was to Sne Mthalane who was supposed to call me when he got a break from his work. He never did so I just took a chance and stopped at the mall and went to the theatre where he just started to work as the stock manager and asked for him. He came out and we went to a quieter area and I extended the call to be second counselor in the new branch presidency. He was both surprised by the release of president Malinga and his call as counselor. He mentioned that his mission president had told the missionaries who were being released that they would be going home to become counselors in bishoprics and branch presidencies but never expected it to happen so soon.

My mission completed we headed back to our boarding where Mary spent much of the evening getting lunch ready for the Koellikers and others tomorrow. We also finished putting away things we had brought from the B’s boarding and getting the house clean and organized for our possible visitors.

I can honestly say it was a very interesting and rewarding day for us. The Lord’s hand could be seen in many things that we got accomplished.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *